The Annunaki

The Annunaki
Aliens, Gods or Demons?

Friday, 8 August 2014

Is the rough draft really SH*T?

Having finished the first draft of my second book, I am now stepping away from it for a little while before embarking on the task of editing it. I find myself thinking though, that while I may need to add to it, there's not much (I think) that will need deleting. For one thing: I've taken my time with it, sometimes to the point I found it progressing excruciatingly slow. But, because I did not sit down and write it out in three months, forcing myself to write 1,000 words per day until it was finished, I find that there is little in the form of extraneous characters or plot holes.
Of course, my editor and advanced readers may think otherwise. I probably will find things in the manuscript when I edit that I cannot believe found their way onto paper, but I do not feel quite the same euphoria I felt when Serpent Priestess was finished. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this book, but with the first one I felt ridiculously happy with it, feeling I'd never top it. This time around I'm not quite as emotionally invested as I didn't have some 'Grand Message', just what I thought to be a really good story and have been writing it with a critical eye to plot and character development, utilizing what I learned penning Serpent Priestess.
So, my question is: what's other writers feelings towards their first draft? Is it SH*T or almost there with just a few tweeks? And does the speed with which the book is written affect the quality of the draft?

No comments:

Post a Comment