The Annunaki

The Annunaki
Aliens, Gods or Demons?

Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Review of The Silver Tide

*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

I received this from Netgalley and started reading it before realising it was the third part of a trilogy. I soon found out that it was possible to catch up quite quickly and figure out who was who, and so I did not feel it necessary to read the previous two--though I might do so in the near future.







First off, I love the cover--the imagery and the clever little phrase. I also like how the writer examines the relationship between Gods--humans who worship them--and humans who seek to supplant them. In this case the Mages. There are a lot of philosophical questions raised on the topic of power and whether on omnipotent being has the right to wipe out his or her creation, should the creation disappoint him or her.

The subject of slavish worship and hubris that comes from one who proclaims herself the mouthpiece of the Gods was well examined, as was the cursory look into the nature of cults.

All in all, it is a book that I enjoyed and would recommend, except for one issue, and that's I don't know who to recommend it to. The action is extremely fast paced, and so I think my teenage daughter and her friends would never get bored (it did feel like it was targeted to a younger audience), yet the language is such that I would not give it to her.

Which brings me to the last quibble: the language. It's not the profanity itself, but rather that it felt a little out of place for its time and was a little jarring.

As the culmination of a trilogy, I think it would be satisfactory on most aspects though perhaps some readers would want to know more about the secondary characters.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25863014-the-silver-tide
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1472211154/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

No comments:

Post a Comment